Minggu, 23 Februari 2014

Wax On Wax Off

Ethnic print, Ankara Plus size dress, How to wear ethnic prints

It was a wonderful 70 degrees here today and I decided to spend it in my fabulous wax print dress.  I wanted to give a quick how to guide on wearing ethnic prints, because I know they can be a little intimidating at first.  I know I was scared for a long time until I tried it and absolutely loved it.  
Here are some quick tips:


1. There's nothing to it, but to do it - The major battle with trying anything new is just trying it.  If you always say you can't wear something then you can't...but if you say maybe then that opens up possibilities.  

2.  Don't go all in at first - Try a top or skirt then add in a solid piece. Then you can build your way up in to a full outfit.  Any full body outfit in a print can be overwhelming, so sometimes it's easy to process if you break it up first. 

3.  Choose your prints wisely - Just like with any print there are bad color combinations and prints.  The designer of this dress and the Demestiks line does a great job of picking out fabulous prints for his garments. 

4.  Familiarize your look with accessories -  We as people love things that are familiar.  Adding in your favorite accessories can help you make the print feel more natural.  I added in my own sunnies which have a very Jackie O. Americana feel.  

5. If you are intimidated go a little less "ethnic" when choosing prints - I hope I am not offending anyone when I say this, but there are some prints that scream the region that they are from and there are some print that give you a hint of the region.  For example, the print on the left, to me, feels more inspired by the region as opposed to the print on the right screams Africa to me.  
Ethnic print, Ankara Plus size dress, How to wear ethnic prints
Style Notes:  The dress that I am wearing is a wrap, so note that you will need to provide your own belt so close the dress.  I've worn two other pieces from Demestiks, you can find the posts here and here.  Also, the shoes I am wearing are probably going to be my new "go to" for the summer.  They are a small wedge sandal from Calvin Klein. They are so comfortable and there is just enough heel to add height, but not enough to be uncomfortable.  I wish they were offered somewhere online. I bought them in-store at Nordstrom Rack.  This is definitely a great option for those looking for a cute yet comfortable shoe with some lift.  

Ethnic print, Ankara Plus size dress, How to wear ethnic prints

Ethnic print, Ankara Plus size dress, How to wear ethnic prints
Dress - c/o Demestiks, Shoes - Calvin Klein via Nordstrom Rack, Belt - Michael Kors, Sunnies - Tom Ford, Lip - MAC Flamingo (sold out)

d93078cada9579a29b24968f36df06d50fa936cddf6d47bdbf

Wax On Wax Off Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Unknown
Terima kasih sudah berkomentar